Originally posted August 12, 2026
Bulldozers broke ground in Big Bend National Park last week, as public backlash continues to build against U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) activity in the park.
Last fall, then-Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem issued an order waiving all regulatory restrictions in order to push through the construction of border barriers in the Big Bend Sector.
In April, CBP Commissioner Rodney Scott told the Washington Examiner that the CBP would not build a border wall in Big Bend due to the public backlash from Texans.
“It would be kind of silly to put a 30-foot border wall on top of a 90-foot granite cliff,” Scott said of the decision.
In May, Secretary of Homeland Security Markwayne Mullin issued a notice in the Federal Register waiving 35 federal laws to “install additional barriers and roads in the Big Bend Sector,” which he labeled “an area of high illegal entry.”
Read the full story on The Texan.
Photo credit Natalie Newman.


Comments are closed